It has been a while since I last wrote something here. You see, a couple of months ago, I made a major decision.
After a lot of thought, sleepless nights and prayers, I decided to resign from a big global organization to join a local conglomerate / group of companies. Normal with any life – changing decision, there were feelings of loss coupled with this huge excitement and anxiety of “new beginnings”.
Making the move and making a decision is a long process but central to my decision is my big WHY. I had to search my heart and find out — who I am as a person, what my talents are, WHAT I TRULY WANT, the things I want to do and how I want my work days to be. Surprisingly, just when I was contemplating on these things, an opportunity presented itself.
I’m reminded of the movie, the LION KING. Simba, afraid and far from home and his destiny, was reminded one night to remember who he is – a leader, an heir, a hope to his constituents.
Looking back, it was a bit nerve wrecking to leave comfort – my usual zone, my usual way of doing things – and replace it with the unknown. One thing I realized is that we can never be sure of what lies ahead. We can either live in fear or in faith and I chose the latter. With much prayers and advice from people who love me, I did it, tendered my resignation and moved on.
Was I scared? Yes! Was it worth it? Yes! Now, I’m happier and more true to myself!
To all of you who are contemplating on shifting jobs or careers, this list of things to consider might help.
A. PRACTICALS – Total Rewards Package:
- Would it be a better move financially? (better to annualize and decide)
- Benefits – (HMOs, Leaves, Bonuses, Perks) Would it support your family better? (Very important especially if you are married with kids )
B. Stability, Branding, Reputation
- Know more about the company – values, line of Business
- Reputation in the industry
- Stability and years in the business (Depending on what you like, you could go for a start-up or a more traditional, stable company).
- Is it a better Career move for you? (Is it a promotion for you?)
- Is there a career management plan for you? How will you advance, grow and be developed?
D. Personal Alignment (This is my main reason for moving)
- Is it aligned to what you want to do?
- Is it aligned to your skills, talents?
- Is it aligned to what you want to become?
- Is it a dream role?
- Will the job make your heart sing?
- Will there be joy in doing it?
- Do you hear positive things about the people in the company?
- Will you have a mentor / friend to guide you?
Note: These are just considerations that helped me decide. You are free to weigh pros and cons. Everyone’s decision tree is different.
Remember who you are. Be true to yourself – Your God-given gifts, your talents, your skills. Seek advice from people who love you, PRAY, listen and DESIGN YOUR LIFE the way you want it to be.
Create the life you want to have.
How about you? Care to share when you made a bold career move? What did you consider?